- Things I am looking for in a person are:
Smarts, simpatico, sizzle, physicality, a lusty laugh, a hearty contempt for most conventional wisdom, and the ability to pick up a $50 bill when it is lying directly in front of you on the street.
- The one thing I am most passionate about:
A bit more about me...
- About me
I’m having an amazing retirement. Just took up theatre seriously at age 69, and then, more recently, singing at age 71. Now I am thinking seriously about auditioning for musicals.
- I consider myself an open-minded person, but my deal breakers are
Cigarette-smoking, right-wing politics, religious fundamentalism, stupidity in general and climate change denial in particular, mindless deference to constituted authorities, a puritanical attitude toward sex and physical pleasure.
- It's Sunday morning at 10 a.m. If I'm not still sleeping, I'm
In church or out walking.
- The first section I turn to in The Coast is
Theatre & Music listings.
- Something I said I'd never do but did anyway was
Sing in a choir.
- When I die, I believe I will go
Into an urn after my organs have been donated.
- My guiltiest pleasure is
Watching American Gladiators and Roller Derby
- The last concert I went to was
- Great sex calls for lots of
Foreplay and mutual exploration and curiosity
- A fault my friends tease me about is
Shirttail hanging out.
- The last time I made an ass out of myself, I
- My picture(s) reveal that I am
Decent-looking and a man who knows how to dress.
- If I could take back one thing I said this week it would be
Can't think of anything.
- When stuck in traffic I
Look for the nearest cross street so I can find an alternate route.
- Something I learned from the last person I dated is
You have to like someone as well as love them.
- My idea of a great date is
Cooking dinner together while slow dancing in the kitchen. OR going out to sing folk songs in a group.
- One sport I will never get is
Curling (also golf, fishing)
- One night stands can be
Fine, so long as they are seen in perspective. (I generally prefer to make them at least two-nighters).
- The celebrity I most resemble is
- My favourite restaurant is
Cafe Cherrier (Montreal), Salty's (Halifax)
- If I could only eat one type of food for the rest of my life, it would be
- I would describe my fashion sense as
Traditional Ivy League, with a tad more colour.
- The most pressing environmental issue is
- What is something that people are surprised to find out about you?
That I am still looking for a partner at my age. . .that I haven’t given up and resigned myself to a future of clipping coupons.
- If you could have a dinner party and invite any 4 people, dead or alive, who'd be coming?
Julia Child, Susan Sarandon, Casey Stengel, Benjamin Spock.
- Where are your local haunts?
Wired Monk Cafe, Central Library, Alderney Landing Library, Halifax-Dartmouth Ferry
- What kind of person are you attracted to?
Bright, witty, uninhibited, with strong interests in the arts (esp. theatre, dance, and literature), and unfettered by any devotion to the conventional wisdom.
- What songs would be on the soundtrack of your life?
Blowin’ in the Wind, Maybe the Rain Will Fall, Am I That Easy to Forget, Constant Craving, My One and Only Love, many more by Jo Stafford, Solitary Man, I Am, I Said, Sweet Caroline, Forever in Blue Jeans. . .
- Tell us about the most unusual place in Halifax where you've gotten it on!
Some field somewhere, so long ago I can’t remember any more.
- My radio dial is usually tuned to:
CBC Radio 2
- One book everyone should read is:
“Toward a Psychology of Being,” by A.H. Maslow. E-mail me and I will send you at least 49 more essential titles!
- My three favourite movies of all time are:
1) “Bull Durham”
2) “Les Parapluies de Cherbourg” (The Umbrellas of Cherbourg)
3) “Grand Budapest Hotel”
- What's something you want to do but haven't?
Play a lead in a screwball comedy from the 1930s. OR Be in a musical (in almost any on-stage capacity).
- My dream weekend escape from Halifax is...
Chicago or Montreal
- What bands do you always find yourself talking shit about?
None. I don’t talk about bands much.
- What languages do you speak?
English, French, some German, a bit of Latin
- If you could live anywhere in the world for one year, where it would be?
- If you could only listen to one song on repeat for the rest of your life what would it be?
I can’t pick one. Anything would get wearing by about the 49th repetition.
- What is one thing about yourself that you wish everyone knew?
That I am one amazing guy who has remade himself many times already and is still in the process of doing it.
- What are you most proud about?
Having taken up theatre at 69 and singing at 71.
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years' time?
I wish I knew. Either here, in West Quebec, or maybe in Scotland.
- You have six months to live, what do you do first?
10 minutes of good, hard deep breathing.
- What do you think the biggest mistake is that men/women make in relationships?
Getting hung up on superficialities instead of looking to the essence of the person.
- List 5 fictional characters that have had a big influence on you, and why.
1) Tom Jones (from novel of same title). Laid out a basic storyline, including exile and eventual celebratory homecoming.
2) Gnossos Papadopoulos (from Richard Farina’s “Been Down so Long it Looks Like Up to Me”). Helped establish me as a rebel.
3) Benedict in Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing.” Boy, did that guy love women. And so do I.
4) Crash Davis in “Bull Durham.” He drinks a bit too much, but his basic values are spot on.
5) David Newman in Patricia Blondal’s “A Candle to Light the Sun.” A survivor if ever there was one.
- Top priority when considering a partner – good looks, intelligence, sense of humour, something else?
Intelligence leavened by compassion, humour, and a sense of proportion.
- What's your favorite midnight snack?
I don’t normally eat late-night snacks.
- What is your education level?
Ph,D., a second master's, and most of a second Ph.D. The one I have is in English from Dal.
- How do you spend your free time?
Interests are listed elsewhere. I devote most of my life to the arts (writing, dancing, acting, etc.). As I am retired, "free time" doesn't mean the same thing it did when I was still working.
Writing, Theatre (as actor, playwright, and audience member), Cooking, Dancing, Tennis, Swimming, Bridge, Writing
- Favorite Vacations Spot
Grand Manan Island, B.C., Cuba
- Ideal First Date
Slow dancing in the kitchen while the dinner cooks slowly in the oven or on top of the stove.
- Looking for
Smarts, simpatico, sizzle, physicality, a lusty laugh, and good old common sense.
- Languages spoken
- Do you drink?
I am an occasional social drinker of beer and wine only. No spirits.
- How do you feel about drugs?
I use medical weed at night to relieve arthritis pain. Nothing more than that.
- Do you have children?
Yes–3 of them.
- Do you want children?
- What is your religious affiliation?
- What are your political leanings?
Left wing of the NDP. In other words, I am a democratic socialist.
- How do you get around town?
By car (in Dartmouth). By bus or ferry (if going to Halifax).
- Your Occupation:
Retired union labour relations officer and professor.
- Hair Color
- Eye Color
- Body Type
Plain vanilla WASP (English, Scots, Irish)
- Best Feature
My head (and what lies inside it)
- What are your dietary preferences?
Fairly eclectic, but have to be a bit careful with lactose. Love seafood.